2019 TWIG applications are due by: Date to be announced
Education Assistant Internship
Programs Department, Red Butte Garden
TWIG volunteers work alongside adult instructors and volunteers to help lead garden-based activities for children ages 5-12 in our Summer Camp Program or joining one of our Horticulture crews for hands-on experience. TWIGs spend most of their time outdoors, behind-the-scenes with Red Butte Garden staff, Summer Camp kids, and Garden guests. Additionally, TWIGs learn how to be environmental educators as they gain experience planning and teaching youth programs on a variety of subjects including but not limited to: botany, horticulture, environmentalism, and more. TWIGs will also gain valuable job skills including teamwork, communication, public speaking, and responsibility.
If you are not applying for an internship and are just looking for teen volunteer opportunities, please fill out the same application.
Internship & Volunteer Responsibilities
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Helping lead instructor prepare daily camp materials, or helping crew leads prepare for shifts
- Assisting lead instructor and volunteers with classroom management
- Developing, planning, preparing, and teaching summer camp activities as directed by lead instructor
- Assisting with daily operations by maintaining supplies, facilities, and equipment
- Open to high school students entering Grades 9-12 (ages 14-17, must be age 14 before your first shift)
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- An interest in plants, environmental education, and/or working with children
- Must be flexible and able to work both independently and as part of a team
- TWIG Internships run: Dates to be announced
- Summer Camp Shifts Available: Morning (8:30AM-12:30PM) or Afternoon (12:30PM-4:30PM)
- Summer Camp is a full two-week commitment - at least 30 hours
- Horticulture crew TWIGs must complete at least 30 hours through three-hour shift every week for nine weeks (Mon-Thurs 9AM-Noon), applicants will be able to choose which day and crew will work best with their schedule
Follow the link below to submit your application to the TWIG program. To complete the application you will need to upload a letter of recommendation, from a teacher or mentor, that highlights your skills and abilities to fulfill the duties of this internship, as well as contact information (phone and email) for two references that can also attest to your abilities and character.
2019 Application Deadline: APRIL 15
After you submit your application, you will be contacted to schedule an interview.
Interviews will take place: 2019 dates to be announced
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Back to Volunteer Opportunities page