SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 23 @1-4PM & MONDAYS, FEBRUARY 25 - MARCH 25 @ 6 - 9PM
Red Butte Garden is the Utah State Arboretum, and contains an amazing collection of beautiful trees, many of which are stunning in Winter. In this class, students will begin by creating a sketching reference by photographing selected trees. They will then create their tree portraits to include in a tree album, containing descriptions, history, and drawings of details (ie: bark, leaves, flowers, pods and seeds). Artists will work in the medium of their choice. The instructor will work in graphite with watercolor and colored pencil. Class will be offered quarterly, to highlight the seasonal changes of their trees. Class includes a special introductory session on Saturday, February 23, from 1-4PM.
MATERIALS LIST - ARTIST/STUDENT TO PROVIDE
I will be doing step-by-step demonstrations using graphite, watercolor and colored pencil. If you love working in another medium, please feel free to bring them to class.
- Pencils: 4H, 2H, HB, 2B, 4B. A Col-Erase labeled Blue #20044 pencil, available at Blick Sugarhouse or online at Dick Blick
- Your collection of watercolors and/or colored pencils
- A Pentel “Clic” white pen eraser, available at Office supply stores and Wal-Mart
- Paper: 2 packs of Strathmore Redi-Cut Hot Press 5x7 25 sheets per pack Total 50 sheets. You will need 40 sheets, 8 per tree. Available at Dick Blick and Jerry's Art-A-Rama for $6.99 per pack
- 9x12 tracing paper. Suggested Canson red and Black cover at Hobby Lobby. or Daler Rowney tracing paper comparable to Canson and cheaper. Was available at Wal-mart for around $3.00
- Tools: Ruler, 6" or 12"
- Sketchbook or pad to sketch onsite if it is warm enough
- Labeled Removable tape, available at Office Max, maybe Michaels
- Labeled white Artist's Tape
- A camera, either on your phone or tablet, or regular camera
PROVIDED TO ARTISTS
1 presentation album containing 24 acetate windows each window will hold 2 5x7 sheets = 48 sheets
Visit Elaine's Website
RED BUTTE GARDEN REFUND AND CANCELLATION POLICY