MONDAYS, JULY 29 - AUGUST 26 @ 6-9PM
This is a foundation class that introduces and explores the media of botanical watercolor with a focus on plants. Art students, beginners to advanced water color artists will learn about brushes, pigments, papers as well as color mixing, flat washes, and glazing applications.
MATERIALS LIST - ARTIST/STUDENT TO PROVIDE
- Transparent Watercolors - Recommended Winsor Newton Artists’ grade (Not Cotman) - either 5 ml or 14/15 ml size
- Winsor Lemon – (cool)
- Cadmium Yellow Pale –(warm) or Cadmium Yellow - (warm)
- Ultramarine Blue or French Ultramarine Blue - (warm)
- Cerulean Blue - (cool)
- Alizerin Crimson Red - (cool)
- Cadmium Red – (warm)
- Brushes: I highly recommend “Creative Inspirations” Dura handle short handle watercolor brushes sizes 2, 4, 6, 8, They can be ordered online from www.jerrysartarama.com. “The Masters” Brush cleaner, a cake soluble with water (Blick Sugarhouse).
- Detail Brush: A specialty brush you must order online I use a Dick Blick brand: size 2 Studio Sable, Kolinsky Sable Detail. Also available: size 3 Winsor Newton Miniature Kolinsky Sable. Detail brushes have shorter hairs but are fuller at the ferrule to hold more paint. This brush used in dry brush stage. Excellent detail brush
- Mixing Brush:A #3,4,5 inexpensive brush you can use to mix colors with. I use a Loew-Cornell round #4 brush I purchased at Michaels for 1.00.
- Pencils: 2B, HB, 2H 4H – A blue Col-erase pencil will be provided if you do not have one.
- Tracing Paper: 9x12, Canson, Foundation Series, (only at Hobby Lobby) or Daler Rowney tracing paper (Wal-Mart) if you are lucky.
- Watercolor Paper: 1 pack 11x14 140lb Strathmore Ready Cut Hot Press 6 sheets to a pack (Sugarhouse) should have it stocked in store. Must be hot press.
• Porcelain palette(s) I suggest 7 well Flower Palettes at 5.00 apiece. (Hobby Lobby)
• “Pentel Clic” white eraser housed in plastic pen like housing (Office Max and other Office supply stores}. Small grey kneaded eraser(Michaels,Blick SH).
• Scotch REMOVABLE tape labeled removable or Wall Safe( Office supply stores maybe Micharls and Hobby Lobby)
• An eye dropper, (Walgreens)
• Bring handheld as they are easier on pencils
MATERIALS PROVIDED TO YOU
- One portfolio with watercolor information and exercises (watercolor exercise paper provided)
- Col-Erase 20044 Blue pencil
- Foam board easel
All supplies purchased will be used in Botanical Watercolor 2
“Mixing Greens” by Michael Wilcox - helpful to read prior to class)
“Color Mixing Swatch Book” also by Michael Wilcox
Art Supply locations and links online:
Blick, Salt Lake City
1025 East 2100 South
1 (800) 426-6740
Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff
Jerry’s Artarama Art Supplies
If you have questions please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
RED BUTTE GARDEN REFUND AND CANCELLATION POLICY