Red Butte Garden strives to honor and recognize its volunteers each year by offering the following benefits for their hourly contributions (Benefits are based on the volunteer calendar which begins November 1st and ends October 31st):
- 20 hours/year ~ RBG individual membership, volunteer continuing education classes.
- 30 hours/year ~ Above benefit plus an invitation to Volunteer Recognition Event.
- 40 hours/year ~ Above benefits plus official RBG name tag and 20% discount at the Gift Shop at Red Butte Garden & RBG Classes & workshops.
- 50 hours/year ~ Above benefits plus free RBG membership at Family or Circle of Friends level.
- 60 hours/year ~ Above benefits plus a Red Butte Garden T-shirt or Two 2-for-1 guest passes.
- 75 hours/year ~ Above benefits plus 2 Concert tickets (some restrictions apply).
- 150+ hours/year ~ Above benefits plus $40 gift certificate for the Gift Shop at Red Butte Garden.
- 3 years at 40+ hours ~ Bronze Service Pin
- 5 years at 40+ hours ~ Silver Service Pin and gift & Button shirt
- 10 years at 40+ hours ~ Gold Service Pin and gift & Fleece Vest
- 15 years at 40+ hours ~ Platinum gift
- 20 years at 40+ hours ~ Diamond Award, Garden Recognition
- 25 years at 40+ hours ~ Lifetime Award, Lifetime Membership to Red Butte Garden.
*Volunteer time logs must be turned into the volunteer coordinator to receive benefits.
*All benefits are awarded at the end of the year.
*Those who volunteer for school credit, community service, or other compensation are not eligible for the Red Butte Garden volunteer benefits beyond an individual membership.
Federal Tax Deductions
Volunteers can receive tax deductions from the federal government on out-of-pocket, un-reimbursed travel expenses such as parking fees and standard mileage rate (determined annually by the IRS). If volunteers have any questions about how they should file, they should consult a tax professional.
The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP), a program of Salt Lake County Aging Services and the Corporation for National and Community Service, is a volunteer program for people age 55 and older and has been making a difference throughout Salt Lake County for the past 35 years.
Red Butte Garden is one of over 70 RSVP volunteer sites. Volunteers who are at least 55 years old are welcome and encouraged to enroll as RSVP volunteers. RSVP benefits include: travel reimbursement assistance if needed, invitations to recognition events, and supplemental accident and liability insurance at no cost to the volunteer.
If volunteers would like additional information about RSVP or to enroll in the program they can call 468-2490 and a RSVP representative will be happy to assist them.