THURSDAY & FRIDAY 6 - 9PM
SATURDAY 9AM - 5PM
This is a class designed to give artists with an interest in the field of botanical art a chance to dabble with three mediums: drawing, watercolor, and pen and ink techniques, used in traditional botanical illustration. Open the door to the beautiful world of botanical art and illustration by rendering a plant in three different mediums.
Look for more Botanical Art Classes this summer - dates to be announced!
Instructor: Elaine Hultgren
Basic watercolors: Winsor Newton brand not Cotman which uses less saturated pigments There are 2 sizes to choose from. The small size 5 ml or .17 fl oz or the larger size 15 ml or .5 fl oz. Choose the smaller if you are not sure watercolor is for you. You will use them in classes in the future.
• Winsor Lemon, a cool yellow with a green bias
• Cadmium Yellow, a warm yellow with a red bias
• Winsor Blue GS, (Green shade) a cool blue with a green bias OR Cobalt or Cerulean blue
• Winsor Blue RS, (Red shade) a warm blue with a red bias or Ultramarine
• Quinacridone Magenta, a cool red with a blue bias or Perm Alizarin Crimson
• Cadmium Red, a warm red with a yellow bias
• Note: you will not need watercolors or brushes for 1st class. You will need tracing paper, removable tape, graphite pencils and erasers for 1st class.
Brushes: One of each
• Size #2 or #3 sable Winsor Newton series 7 OR a sable and synthetic blend ex: “Sceptre Gold II” by Winsor Newton or Loew-Cornell Golden “Taklon” available at Michaels.
• Size #6 or #7 “Sceptre Gpld II”, Winsor Newton available at art stores.
• 1 of each HB, 2B (softer graphite) and 2H, 4H (harder graphite). Try them out at the art store to see which brand feels right for you. Bring a sheet of paper to store. All pencils are not created equal.
• A Blue Col-Erase pencil will be provided in class
• 9x12 drawing paper pad. Suggested from Wal-Mart. medium weight paper, 50 sheets
• 9x12 pad of tracing paper. Canson Calique(brand) has the best translucency.
• Watercolor and Bristol Paper will be provided in class.
• “Pentel Clic” white eraser which comes housed in a plastic casing and retracts. Available at
• office supply stores and art stores too I am told.
• Small grey kneaded eraser
• Scotch Removable Tape (blue plaid) available at office supply and art stores
• Porcelain or ceramic multiple well palette preferred. Plastic is not good
• “Micron Pigma” felt tip pens #’s 005, 01, 02, available at Utrecht/Blick in Sugarhouse or
A portfolio of reference and exercises, transfer paper, a foam board easel and a plant (Artichoke, the icon of Botanical drawing anad painting) will be provided in class.
Class limited to 20 artists. Beginners welcome as this is a class that will introduce you to basic botanical drawing and painting featuring British dry brush and scientific pen and ink techniques.
By phone: 801-581-8454
Elaine Hultgren is a certified botanical artist and illustrator and has several years of experience teaching botanical art and illustration classes. Elaine's watercolors and scientific illustrations have been exhibited in galleries, shows, museums and are included in private collections.