JUNE 25, 26 & 27 from 6 - 9PM
& JUNE 28 from 9AM - 4PM
This is a four-day workshop
Have you ever wanted to dabble in botanical art but not sure if it's for you? Here's your chance to have a hands-on experience with three different mediums; graphite, watercolor and pen and ink techniques used in traditional botanical art and illustration. Open the door to the beautiful world of botanical art by rendering a provided plant in all three mediums and learn about botanical art history. All levels welcome.
Basic watercolors: Winsor Newton brand not Cotman which uses less saturated pigments There are 2 sizes to choose from. The small size 5 ml or .17 fl oz or the larger size 15 ml or .5 fl oz. Choose the smaller if you are not sure watercolor is for you.
• Winsor Lemon, a cool yellow with a green bias
• Cadmium Yellow, a warm yellow with a red bias
• Winsor Blue GS, (Green shade) a cool blue with a green bias OR Cobalt blue
• Winsor Blue RS, (Red shade) a warm blue with a red bias
• Quinacridone Magenta, a cool red with a blue bias.
• Cadmium Red, a warm red with a yellow bias
• Note: you will not need watercolors or brushes for 1st class. You will need tracing paper, removable tape, graphite pencils and erasers for 1st class.
Brushes: One of each
• Size #2 or #3 sable Winsor Newton series 7 OR a sable and synthetic blend ex: “Sceptre Gold II” by Winsor Newton or Loew-Cornell Golden “Taklon” available at Michaels.
• Size #6 or #7 “Sceptre Gpld II”, Winsor Newton available at art stores.
• 1 of each HB, 2B (softer graphite) and 2H, 4H (harder graphite). Try them out at the art store to see which brand feels right for you. Bring a sheet of paper to store. All pencils are not created equal.
• A Blue Col-Erase pencil will be provided in class
• 11x14 drawing paper pad or some single sheets check at Michaels for Canson or Strathmore brand
• 11x14” pad of tracing paper. Canson (brand) has the best translucency.
• Watercolor and Bristol Paper will be provided in class.
• “Pentel Clic” white eraser which comes housed in a plastic casing and retracts. Available at office supply stores and art stores too I am told.
• Small grey kneaded eraser
• Scotch Removable Tape (blue plaid) available at office supply and art stores
• Porcelain or ceramic multiple well palette
• “Micron Pigma” felt tip pens #’s 005, 01, 02, available at Az Art or Michaels
A portfolio of reference and exercises, transfer paper “Sally’s Artist” in a long grey and black box, a foam board easel and a plant will be provided in class.
Class limited to 15 artists. Beginners welcome as this is a class that will introduce you to basic botanical drawing and painting featuring British dry brush and scientific pen and ink techniques.
Instructor: Elaine Hultgren
Elaine Hultgren is a certified botanical artist and illustrator and is an instructor at the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix Arizona and has several years of experience teaching botanical art and illustration classes. Elaine's watercolors and scientific illustrations have been exhibited in galleries, shows, museums and are included in private collections.